Author Topic: Juniors skating with Adults  (Read 583 times)

Offline ryannesage@gmail.com

• Spank
    • View Profile
Juniors skating with Adults
« on: December 19, 2016, 05:10:07 PM »
Are there any instances or exceptions for young men being allowed to skate with adults? Hypothetically if a 17 year old wanted to skate in a men's league, could they under a waiver?
Thanks!

Spank
Austin Anarchy
ryannesage@gmail.com

Offline NinjaSassem

• View Profile
Re: Juniors skating with Adults
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 05:52:38 PM »
Not if your league is insured with WFTDA insurance.

Ninja
Ninja Sass'em
Head of Officiating Arch Rival
Head of Officiating GateKeepers
MRDA US OAC
MRDA Compliance Chair

Offline Bacon Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 12:47:52 AM »
Is that just sanctioned play or practices as well?

Offline Elgar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 07:06:41 AM »
Would surely also fall under the specific Country child protection regulations

Offline Girl Fawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 09:16:03 AM »
If something happened during practice the insurance wouldn't cover it. I feel like there's potentially to lose your insurance entirely as well
MRDA, Treasurer and Events Coordinator
CT Death Quads, Bench Manager

Offline Rev

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 12:40:07 PM »
We asked this question in Montreal. In Canada the same insurance applies to all ages and they are covered no matter the age.

The insurance is the same for Juniors, Men and Women.
http://www.mtlrollerderby.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Rev-71/238366709537
Asst Coach Les Sexpos
Captain Mont Royals
Asst Captain Team Canada Men's Roller Derby

Offline Bambi Lance

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 06:55:43 PM »
WFTDA/MRDA does not allow minors to skate with adults. As much as we like to think people are cool and parents sign waivers, this is a HUGE liability. If it is allowed per your insurance this is something your league will have to discuss as far as liability.
Bambi Lance
Head Referee Race City Rebels
MRDA Official
MRDA Safety Committee Chair
MRDA Certification Committee
WFTDA Certified Referee (Level 2)

Offline Rev

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 09:11:12 AM »
I'm going to pipe in on this as had the question come up as well here.

Because we use Crdi (Canadian Roller Derby Insurance) there is no age limit on the insurance meaning that anyone underage is covered the same as an adult.
Yes it seems messed up because a 7 year old could skate against an MRDA team but we just enforce the "no douchebag" policy when we scrimmage the juniors.
Technically speaking as well since there are levels to which the Juniors can play 1,2 and 3 ( I believe 2 is established positional hitting and 3 is full contact) we just dont hit the juniors full steam we bump them.
http://www.mtlrollerderby.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Rev-71/238366709537
Asst Coach Les Sexpos
Captain Mont Royals
Asst Captain Team Canada Men's Roller Derby

Offline devnull

• View Profile
    • Chinook City Roller Derby League
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 05:45:54 PM »
Under Roller Sports Canada insurance (which is the one we use) there is no age limit either. We ensure that junior skaters have enough skill to not be a danger to themselves or other skates and that the parents have signed a waiver acknowledging that the under age person is playing with adults.

In 5 years of doing this there have been no incidents. One of the first juniors to skate with us ages out this summer and will start to play with us. He already has his jersey.
Jim Bourne aka Dev Null
Glenmore Reservoir Dogs, Team Canada
Chair Men's Roller Derby World Cup 2016 Host League

Offline Girl Fawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 05:58:49 PM »
Under Roller Sports Canada insurance (which is the one we use) there is no age limit either. We ensure that junior skaters have enough skill to not be a danger to themselves or other skates and that the parents have signed a waiver acknowledging that the under age person is playing with adults.

In 5 years of doing this there have been no incidents. One of the first juniors to skate with us ages out this summer and will start to play with us. He already has his jersey.

That's awesome Dev! I do want to remind leagues here in the USA (especially as it's a particularly litigious society) that even if a parent signs a waiver for a child, they cannot sign away that child's right to sue, especially in case of injury. Very few states will allow it at all and a few more allow it for very specific activities (equine sports, skiing) so just a heads up for anyone who might being willing to put their WFTDA insurance at risk, this is another consideration.
MRDA, Treasurer and Events Coordinator
CT Death Quads, Bench Manager

Offline SaraTonin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 05:27:38 PM »
Well, juniors played against a combined Team USA and Canada at the World Cup in Calgary because of the Canadian insurance. But yep, not much insurance would cover it. Definitely not in the UK!
HNSO Manchester Roller Derby
MRDA Recognised Official

Offline BigMeanDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 10:28:53 PM »
If a league wanted to include minors, it would probably be worthwhile for them to look into (probably adding) USARS insurance. I personally don't know much about it, but it's my understanding that skaters as young as 14 are covered as well as adults.

Offline Bacon Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 07:05:12 PM »
If a league wanted to include minors, it would probably be worthwhile for them to look into (probably adding) USARS insurance. I personally don't know much about it, but it's my understanding that skaters as young as 14 are covered as well as adults.
But isn't it still frowned upon by WFTDA insurance and threatens losing coverage with them? Or are we free to practice with minors as long as we don't make a WFTDA claim in the event of injury?

Offline devnull

• View Profile
    • Chinook City Roller Derby League
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 01:27:55 AM »
I would actually like to see the wording, in the insurance policy from the insurance company that states skaters under 18 invalidate coverage for that event.
Jim Bourne aka Dev Null
Glenmore Reservoir Dogs, Team Canada
Chair Men's Roller Derby World Cup 2016 Host League

Offline BigMeanDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 09:04:49 AM »
But isn't it still frowned upon by WFTDA insurance and threatens losing coverage with them? Or are we free to practice with minors as long as we don't make a WFTDA claim in the event of injury?

Honestly, I don't know. I've heard tale of minors skating with adults under USARS coverage, but I don't have any personal experience with it. If it were something I were perusing then I would check with my current and potential insurance carriers.

Offline ryannesage@gmail.com

• Spank
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 03:59:20 PM »
Thank you everyone for your contributions! Very helpful.
Spank  :D
Thanks!

Spank
Austin Anarchy
ryannesage@gmail.com

Offline Bambi Lance

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 02:47:46 PM »
Having minors participate in your practices opens a HUGE can of worms and there are legal reasons it's not allowed. First off, most states require that ANY organization (including sports) that works with minors that they all must complete back ground checks. That would mean every member of your league and potentially volunteers. Second, just because their parents sign a waiver does not mean you are exempt from liability. Unfortunately, parents sign forms and are all excited (or not) about their child's participation until they get hurt. Then the lawsuits come out. The list can go on.
Bambi Lance
Head Referee Race City Rebels
MRDA Official
MRDA Safety Committee Chair
MRDA Certification Committee
WFTDA Certified Referee (Level 2)